Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Long Roads and Two-Way Streets: Part 3

It felt good to preach again, July 22nd.  That's one of things that my time away was measured by.  Preaching is so central to my calling as a priest.  Not preaching for two Sundays removed so much from my daily life.  No reading ahead, no Theolatte´,  no translation work, no context reading, no commentaries.

The mulling and reflection were easily replaced in my touring by the constantly evolving scenery.  I love the way each mile moves to another view, another center, another clime. 

It's why I wrote about the rivers last week.  Each crossing or parallel triggered questions and imaginings about those who first met and named their encounters.  Whose idea was it to name that Wyoming artery the Big Horn?  How has it developed that so many colleges in the west have initialed some nearby slope.  My favorite is Provo's "Y."  Why not?  Ask Brigham or Joseph. 

What is going on south of Idaho Falls?  The terrain is otherworldly!  Hardly a road between Interstate 15 and Atomic City south of US 20.  Everyday presented similar intrigue. 

Part of what I find out by not turning on the radio, rolling down the windows and driving mile after engaging mile across the country is how much we share by way of those regular Sunday morning homilies. At least I hope we are sharing.  I hope that what I am offering participates in that larger conversation that is the life of this parish. 

Now that I'm back and living with you my attention is caught and drawn into thinking about the little things you say as we shake hands and the often more revealing things you ask or comment after the "dust settles." 

I am always observing, always imagining, always reflecting, always wondering, always experimenting, always listening again and again to what you have shared with me.  Your sharing is my ever changing landscape now. 

My preaching is less dictation or advice -- talking to myself with the windows rolled up -- and more saying back to you from the view afforded me by a vehicle of lessons, collects, schedules, news and conversations; this is what I see and wonder, what I imagine and question, what I've experienced and learned. 

Our lives are long roads -- I'm almost halfway in my 9th year of service to this parish! -- and when we're sharing also two-way streets.  It's good to be back. 

No comments: