Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Long Roads and Two-Way Streets: Part 2

It's good to be back.

Just so you know I drove nearly 5000 miles and almost 2000 miles my last three days from the 30% humidity at 8000 ft above sea level to our "cozy" 87% at 680 ft. in Madison.  After leaving Moab, Utah's Arches National Park and scurrying up Colorado's Mesa Verde I had one remaining "must stop."  It was the Flophouze Shipping Container Motel in Round Top, Texas.

That meant a "purposeful" 8 hours of driving via Albuquerque, Santa Rosa, Fort Sumner, and Clovis. Bedding down to push through another 8 hours through Muleshoe, Lubbock, Snyder, Sweetwater, Santa Ana, Lampassas, Georgetown to Giddings and finally to my well appointed metal can with kitchen, bath, bed and sitting room. Whew!

I woke up the next morning very aware that I had returned to lower, moister lands and closer, damper air.  Still, Round Top is 14 hours away from my "more familiars" of Sandy Creek Rd and Academy St.  My last day went well into Friday night but I was home and in my bed before 1:00AM.  Paddling up from Dyar Pasture into the Oconee current was the perfect close to a great trip. 

From Madison to Bozeman and back I crossed or followed rivers, creeks and bayous with names like the Chattahoochee, Tennessee, Cumberland, Ohio, Wabash, Illinois, Missouri, Redwater, Sundance, Donkey, Deadhourse, Powder,  Dry,  Negro, Clear, Rock, Prairie Dog, Pompey, Goose, Tongue, Little Bighorn, Slaughter, Bighorn, Alkali, Spring, Indian, Pryor, Yellowstone, Gallatin, Gardiner, Lava, Falls, Snake, Weber, Farmington, Jordan, Price, Green, Colorado, Dove, Animas, San Juan,  Rio Grande, Pecos, Yellow House, Deep, Cottonwood, Colorado(Texas), San Gabriel, Brazos, San Jacinto, Trinity, Din, Neches, Sabine, Houston, des Cannes, Vermillion, Teche, Atchafalaya, Mississippi, Pearl, Chunky, Tombigbee,  Black Warrior, and Coosa.

It was my intention all along but the fact that the AC on my little Prius died, confirmed my choice to drive with the windows rolled down and no radio playing.  I could smell the smells and feel the air as it changed moment to moment. 

I'm excited to visit the Four Corners part of the southwest again.  So maybe this spring I can just go out and back with none of my daughter's furniture in the "trunk."  This is a great part of the world with lots of highways and two way streets.

So thanks for the break! 

No comments: