Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Walking with Jesus

Walking with Jesus is a part of my dream life.  More than once I've roused from sleep in a mix of shame thinking I'm not good enough to be here and joy in amazement I was so lucky.  Just once I was afraid I was dead.

One time Jesus joined me on a long run.  I don't remember worrying about his robes encumbering him.  I do remember that it was a field of perfectly mown grass under our feet; mine in Asics Tigers, his in sandals.  Ah, those were the days/dreams.

Part of my thinking these days about the image of Jesus, the role model, the metaphor, the revelation is that we need God to be proximate.  Our theology always pushes God away toward omniscience, omnipotence, absoluteness, transcendence, eternality.  Jesus brings God closer.  Especially as we understand Jesus being the Word of God Incarnate.  Nothing shows us who God is better than Jesus.

So I'm musing again.  I'd be dreaming if I weren't awake.  I'm singing the old hymn, "O Master let me walk with thee."  Here are the words:

 O Master, let me walk with Thee
in lowly paths of service free;
tell me Thy secret; help me bear
the strain of toil, the fret of care.

 Help me the slow of heart to move
by some clear, winning word of love;
teach me the wayward feet to stay,
and guide them in the homeward way.

 Teach me Thy patience, still with Thee
in closer, dearer company,
in work that keeps faith sweet and strong,
in trust that triumphs over wrong.

 In hope that sends a shining ray
far down the future's broad'ning way;
in peace that only Thou canst give,
with Thee, O Master, let me live.

The Jesus we walk with is the best lens to see who God is.  Thanks be to God it's a dream coming true.

No comments: