Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Resurrection Takes Practice

Easter is a big deal and coupled with Christmas is the "must see TV" of the Christian calendar.  There are nicknames for those folks who make sure to attend on those Sundays without nearly as much attention being paid to all the others.  One is "chreasters."

I don't pick on those people who show up only on those two occasions nearly as much as I used to.  Mainly because I'm just glad to see them whenever they attend.  As well, I know the value of other sometimes deeper ways to sustain and grow in one's spiritual life.  I had to get myself away from some old ways of doing church to learn what my years as a competitive distance runner taught me: how to pray without saying a word.   To live in a constant prayerfulness instead of that typical once a day or once a crisis laundry list appeal to God.

Part of how that lesson about prayer came to me was through the day after day after day patterning of rising early, stretching, jogging -- to meet up with others sometimes -- stretching a little more and then clicking my watch in earnest as I hit the road or trail.  Sometimes it was in the heat of the California afternoon.  Sometimes for 5 miles and more than once for more than 20.

My prayers were mostly just breathing in a regular rhythmic cadence that coordinated with the companion rhythm of my footsteps.  Inhale in 3 steps, exhale in 3 steps, repeat.  Or when the pace was quicker or the incline steeper: inhale in 2 steps, exhale in 2 steps, repeat.

The way many of us live our lives in church is just like that: Sunday in, Sunday out, Sunday in, Sunday out.  For some others their inspiration comes from moments or places that are more like races or special events than training.  And there are others who don't "draw a line" between church and world, sacred or secular.  And still others who seem never to be more than one breath away from bliss. Some need their church to be more like sabbath rest, than focused interval training or a long run.  TBTG! It takes all kinds.

But resurrection, no matter your spiritual method takes practice.  Yes it deserves the race day like highlighted attention of Easter Sunday itself.  For some that highlighting demands preparation and Lent and Holy Week take on that requirement.  But the practice I'm talking about is just as much for the sake of maintaining one's appreciation after Easter. 

I used to warn my athletes that the the demand of the race begins before the gun goes off and extends beyond the finish line.

The same is true for Easter and similarly for Christmas.  Resurrection takes practice: not to maintain the high of Sunday's drama, liturgy and alleluias.  Not everyday can be race day.  But to deepen one's capacity to see, hear, touch, taste and feel the gift of God's raising Jesus from the dead in the day to day.  Resurrection takes practice and perhaps especially after Easter.


No comments: