Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Christian Identities #1: Bringing in the good news

Last week I wrote about that sense of living "in the world but not of it."  The nickname I gave this identity was "outsider."  That's a little misleading.  Staying on the outside is not my intent.  It was not Jesus' intent when he recognized that the disciples were "not of this world" in his prayers to God.  (John 17:14).

His intentions are caught up in the language of his sending them as he says in verse 18, “As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.”  So 'outsider" speaks less about where I am to stay and more of how I started.  Yes there are still those parts of me that "in but not of" no matter what I do or to where I move.  I know this, and I'm not stopping.

My work with this faithful people was begun with an perspective that was and still is mine from years of experience in other places, other ministry settings.  But I have been sent from "there" to "here" and I have brought and will continue to bring my learning along.  Nice thing about this spiritual journeying is that everything gets to be paid forward.  Thanks be to God!

The nickname for one who is sent is "apostle."  It comes from the Old English apostol, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek apostolos ‘messenger,’ from apostellein ‘send forth.’

It implies there is something of value, a message that is being conveyed.  Remember the verse from Isaiah 52:7, "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of the messenger who announces peace, who brings good news who announces salvation, who says to Zion, ‘Your God reigns.’"

The messenger's feet are beautiful because of how they are carrying the good news of peace and salvation.  Just like we would detect a "bounce" in someone's step the day after they fell in love.

Not all messengers are welcomed.  True sometimes for the message, as well.  Remember Jesus' instructions about dusting off one's sandals.  We need not be afraid. The heart of the messenger is more closely tied to their commission and message than to their reception.

There are other nicknames that help me in seeing, knowing, learning, and leading.  I'm more likely to answer to them than I am "outsider" or "apostle" or "messenger."

Call me "coach" and you'll see, . . . next week.


No comments: