Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Christian Identities #2: Hey Coach!

I wrote last week about the role that is each of ours because we are "good news people."  As believers our appreciation for the gospel compels us to be its messengers.  It is our relationship with the goodness of the news itself -- the reign of God is at hand! Christ is risen! Jesus loves me! -- that puts a spring in our step and drives us to run so obviously motivated that any onlooker would be impressed.  

There are roles for each of us to attempt and practice is our lives of faith.  As a priest in a parish or campus setting I've often been instructed by my experiences as a coach.  

I remember how often I'd hear "hey Coach!" and I would almost always answer "hey, Athlete!"  There'd be a little awkward chuckle and then the matter at hand would be attended.  I wasn't being obtuse in my answer but I was in most cases being complimentary.  The coach/athlete relationship is precious and it calls on both to strive for excellence on the other's behalf.  You've heard the saying "to win one for the Gipper."  It clearly indicates that calling to a mutual interest toward a supreme effort.  

Likewise most coaches will honestly and humbly credit the team for its success and as much as possible take the hit for a loss.  Those actions also come out of that relationship and its mutual striving and respect.  

The same applies to my work as rector here at Advent.  I'm the not wisest or the most knowledgable but I have been entrusted with a kind of attentiveness and imagination that yearns to understand the "sport" of faith, to know more about how one can improve one's efforts and how that aspiration calls for keen observation and sharing.  

A good friend from my Fluor Daniel days tells the story of his first coaching job at Charlotte Country Day back in the 80's.  He earned a Master's in Exercise Physiology and found a job teaching P.E. The girl's varsity tennis team needed a coach.  His own athletic past only included casual or recreational experience at tennis but he thought he could at least organize the practices, schedule the buses and keep score, so he said "yes." His girlfriend played college tennis on scholarship and he wisely asked her to "hit the ball" with him and help him learn more about team training and skill work.  

At the end of their having played and talked he asked her for her advice, "Do you think I'll be able to do this?"  She said, "Sure, just don't ever let them see you play!"  Long story short, they won a championship . . . because of the athlete's and by way of my friend's attention, encouragement and mutuality.  

So for me to adopt the role of coach has little to do with being faster than the team's runners or in our case "the best Christian" (whatever that is!).  It has more to do with playing my part in attentiveness and imagination.  There are plenty of other roles that are better framed by the sub-title "team member" than even "athlete."  Just think for a minute how much we can learn by way of our captains, our quarterbacks, our trainers, or our managers.  Lots of roles, all on the team, each a part of the whole.  

To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 1 Corinthians 12:7

No comments: